My first faculty interview is this week, and frankly, I'm losing my junk a little bit. I'm super excited and I'm sure it will be fun, but I'm also terrified of doing something horribly gauche, insulting someone, or looking stupid in general. I've been poring over the very excellent advice on such matters from Physioprof, DrDrA, and Gerty-Z (and their commenters), but I still have a bunch questions. Here they are, in no particular order:
1. Is it bad form to ask about the university city? I mean, everyone I'm talking to has chosen to live there, so would they be irked if I asked about quality of life/safety stuff?
2. I'm meeting the Dean. What does he want to talk about?
3. What do the students (grad) want to talk about?
4. Will people not take my relationship seriously because J and I are not married?
5. I'm doing a little reading about the research of each person on my itinerary, but will they expect me to be familiar with their work? How familiar?
6. What do I NEED to ask?
7. Anyone have any experience with those 5 hour energy shot thingies? Yay or Nay?
8. I seem to be coming down with a cold.
Hmm...there are probably more. I'll update as they occur to me. Any and all wisdom is much appreciated!
2 days ago